Stay Informed and Make Your Voice Heard!
NGA has been working hard to implement of its new advocacy program that allows anyone with an interest in guardianship to communicate directly with state and/or national legislators. Here’s how it works.
- NGA learns of an issue affecting guardians in your state. For example, legislation is being considered that NGA feels will improve the practice of guardianship.
- NGA develops a letter that can be sent to all appropriate legislators in your state.
- You receive an email, informing you of the issue, and inviting you to send this letter. Because you’ve entered your home address, the system knows who your senators and representatives are (and how to reach them).
- With just a few clicks of your mouse, you send your legislators a letter saying that they represent you, you’re interested in good guardianship, and that you support the proposed legislation.
NGA’s advocacy program has already been used for issues impacting guardianship in New Mexico, Kentucky, and Maine. The system is simple to use, and the impact increases as more people enroll.
Of course, sometimes NGA doesn’t become aware of pending legislation until it is almost time for a vote. That’s why it’s important for you to enroll now, so that you’re prepared when it’s time for your voice to be heard on important issues impacting guardianship in your area.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Program
- Why am I being asked for my home address? The system uses this information so that it knows who your representatives are. We do not share this information, and it won’t replace the information you list with your NGA membership. If you work in one district and live in another, the system allows you to contact the legislators where you live and vote.
- My workplace does not allow me to be politically active on their behalf. Should I bother? Of course! You’re contacting your legislators as an individual, not as a representative of your organization. Even if your organization has a policy prohibiting you from any form of advocacy, you can still enroll to stay informed and to share the information with others who may be able to act.
- How do I contact my legislators, and what should I write? Once you’re enrolled and an issue impacts you, contacting your legislators with our pre-prepared message is as simple as a few clicks of the mouse.